In Summary

  • Announcing the end of the boycott, Mandera Bus Association chairman Mohamed Bardad, said the government had assured them of security on the risky route.
  • Mr Bardad said the association was informed of enhanced security within Elwak sub-county, a terror hot spot, where 11 people have been killed in Al-Shabaab attacks within a month.

Bus companies in Mandera County are set to resume business on Wednesday after a 17-day protest against insecurity.

Transport from Mandera to Nairobi had been paralysed for more than two weeks following an attack on two buses in which six people were killed.

Announcing the end of the boycott, Mandera Bus Association chairman Mohamed Bardad, said the government had assured them of security on the risky route.

“We have addressed the thorny issues we had with the security teams in Mandera and we shall be back to business starting Wednesday this week,” Mr Bardad said.

He said the association had appealed to the county security team not to bar non-locals from traveling.

“We are all Kenyans and the government has to provide security to everyone without discrimination,” he said.

Mr Bardad said the association was informed of enhanced security within Elwak sub-county, a terror hot spot, where 11 people have been killed in Al-Shabaab attacks within a month.

“We have been informed of improved security services including installation of a General Service Unit (GSU) station at Borehole 11 to serve the unsafe Kotulo zone,” he said.

Mr Bardad expressed confidence that all arising issues had been settled by the security team and urged travellers to start arranging for their travels.

Page 1 of 2