In Summary

  • Police have already mapped out areas affected by clashes and cattle rustling.
  • The operation is aimed at improving security in the region.

A major disarmament operation will start in Isiolo next week after an amnesty for pastoralists in the area to surrender illegal weapons expired.

Isiolo County Commissioner George Natembeya said a four-day ultimatum issued by Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery to surrender any firearms elapsed on Tuesday.

Addressing journalists Wednesday, Mr Natembeya said that while there are many guns in the wrong hands, no firearms had been surrendered.

He said the operation is aimed at improving security in the region following ethnic clashes that have left more than 50 people dead in six months.

He said police had already mapped out areas affected by clashes and cattle rustling.

He said the government would deploy additional security officers and vehicles to take part in the disarmament.

“The government had announced a voluntary programme to ensure those with illegal firearms register them so that they could easily be monitored but no one did. Anyone found with the weapon will be arrested and prosecuted,” he said.

Mr Natembeya said illegal firearms had contributed to insecurity in Isiolo, Samburu and Meru counties.