Two people have been confirmed dead and 26 others pulled from the rubble after a four-storey building collapsed at Mwembe area in Kisii town Wednesday morning.
The National Disaster Management Unit Communications Officer Pius Maasai said 30 more people could be trapped in the debris.
He said 24 people have been hospitalised and that Kenya Defence Forces have been called in to assist in the rescue operation.
Earlier, the County Disaster boss Julius Tinega told reporters at the scene that the building was under construction and more than 25 workers are believed to have already reported to work at the time.
"So far we have pulled out between 10 and 12 people and we have brought more personnel and equipment to aid in the (rescue) operation," he said.
He said more people were still trapped in the rubble.