Close to his room was another patient, Liz Nerima Oganga, who at the time of the interview at 2pm on Thursday, was on her 16th drip of water and medication. She was admitted at midnight on Wednesday.

“I only ate a small piece of fish and spinach at the wedding. By Monday, however, I had severe bouts of diarrhoea accompanied by extreme fatigue.

"By Wednesday, I was crawling on my knees; the pain was unbearable. The doctors say the dehydration affected my kidneys,” she said. Her son has also been unwell and was on Thursday afternoon being attended to at the same hospital.

Another guest at the wedding, Pamela Kerre, a cousin of the groom, lost her brother Steve Musalia on Tuesday to cholera complications.

Earlier, on Monday this week, two other close relatives who had also attended the wedding died in Vihiga.

At the time of the interview, Ms Kerre was being discharged from Nairobi Hospital, where she had been hospitalised for two days due to the stomach infection.

'FELL ILL'

“They confirmed my brother had cholera,” she said. “He fell ill on Monday morning and his wife rushed him to a hospital in Komarock later in the day at 5pm.

"But we lost him on Tuesday morning, at 2am. The post-mortem report from Chiromo mortuary shows he died of severe dehydration and multiple organ failure.”

Family members who spoke to the Nation suspect their woes came from the food they ate at the ceremony. There are sketchy details about the hired cateress, who on Thursday refused to comment on the matter.

However, sources close to the company intimated to this newspaper that one of the people who served food at the wedding had been unwell with a stomach infection.

Eric Kibe, the programme director at SafiServe, an organisation that trains food service workers on how to protect consumers from food-borne risks, said Kenyans need to be careful about who cooks their meals.

“We are all food consumers and if you bring a caterer to your event, make sure that you have proof of their well-being,” he said.

“Do they have a food-handling certificate, for instance? This certificate expires every six months, therefore, you should watch out for this.

“But even in your own home, ensure personal hygiene, wash your hands with soap and boil or treat your water.”

Page 2 of 2