In Summary

  • Some 100,000 people are suffering from a man-made famine in South Sudan, where a three-year conflict has made it difficult for aid workers to reach the needy.

JUBA

The International Organization for Migration said Thursday that two people were killed when gunmen attacked an aid convoy in South Sudan, where chronic violence has led to famine.

The aid organisation said the convoy was attacked on Tuesday as it was returning from the central town of Yirol where staff and health workers had been assisting communities affected by a deadly outbreak of cholera.

One of the vehicles was ambushed by gunmen who shot dead two people —-a civilian and a person "involved in the health response", according to the IOM.

Three others were injured, including an IOM health officer, the organisation said in a statement.

"This tragic attack on aid workers and civilians is appalling," said IOM director general William Lacy Swing.

Page 1 of 2

Latest from Nairobi News