In Summary

  • The government has repeatedly renewed the state of emergency despite its assurances that security has improved in the North African state.
  • Prime Minister Youssef Chahed told local radio station Mosaique FM on Wednesday that the state of emergency would be "definitively lifted in three months".
  • Tunisia shares a 500 kilometre border with Libya, a country plagued by chaos since the 2011 fall of its longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

TUNIS

Tunisia has extended for another three months a state of emergency in place since a 2015 jihadist attack, the president's office announced Thursday.

President Beji Caid Essebsi has decided "to extend the state of emergency for three months from 16 February", his office told AFP.

The state of emergency has been in place since a November 2015 jihadist bombing in Tunis that killed 12 presidential guards on a bus.

The Islamic State jihadist group claimed the attack as well as bombings earlier in 2015 at the Bardo National Museum and at a beach resort that killed 59 foreign tourists and a Tunisian guard.

They were part of an ongoing jihadist insurgency since a 2011 revolution toppled long-time dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.

The government has repeatedly renewed the state of emergency despite its assurances that security has improved in the North African state.

Page 1 of 2