In Summary
  • The 18 schools are considered more prestigious than the other recently gazetted ones.
  • Dr Matiang’i said the form one selection exercise is expected to be complete by December 12.

The race for Form One slots for candidates who sat this year’s Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination will officially start Monday.

The process will be launched at 8:30am by Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development.

It will only cover candidates joining the 105 national schools across the country. On Friday, the exercise to pick candidates joining extra-county schools will start.

NATIONAL SCHOOLS

Top officials at the Education ministry have been in Naivasha for the past one week to finalise the list of candidates who will join national schools.

Already, the ministry has asked all principals of boarding schools to provide the necessary details to enable candidates access the selection results online.

“Candidates joining form one in boarding schools will be accessing their instructions online,” said a circular to all principals by Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang and signed by acting Director General, Basic Education, Robert Masese.

A total of 993,718 candidates sat the examination. Of these, 498,775 were boys and 494,943 girls.

While releasing the results, Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i said all candidates who scored 400 marks and above will be admitted to national schools irrespective of whether they sat their exams in private or public schools.

Dr Matiang’i said the form one selection exercise is expected to be complete by December 12.

NIGHTMARE

“It is the Ministry of Education’s plan that candidates, together with their parents and guardians, must know the schools where their children will be admitted to in January,” said the CS.

He said parents would not go through the annual nightmare of school placement since the government had put in place measures to ensure that all candidates are admitted to secondary schools.

“Placement of candidates into public secondary schools will be based on merit, quotas, equity, affirmative action and student choice. Efforts will also be made to ensure that children from disadvantaged backgrounds continue with their education when the selection is done,” he said.

The CS said the government had already released a circular outlining details of the planned programme, of which the government has set aside Sh56 billion already.

“What this means is that, from January, no child will be required to pay tuition fees in any public secondary school. This is a big scale-up from the free day learning programme that has been running in all public secondary schools,” he said.

Page 1 of 2