In Summary
  • Jubilee leaders dismissed National Super Alliance leader Raila Odinga’s call for a meeting to discuss changes at the electoral commission before the repeat poll.
  • The President accused Mr Odinga of instigating the attacks, adding that the opposition was free to withdraw from the election but not to disrupt polling.
  • In Nanyuki, Deputy President William Ruto said the October 26 election was unstoppable, whether IEBC commissioners resign or not.

President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto have ruled out talks with the opposition on the repeat presidential election, saying Jubilee is ready for next week’s poll.

At the same time, the President warned individuals planning to disrupt next week’s repeat election that they will face the law, as he condemned attacks on electoral commission officials across the country.

Addressing rallies in Trans Nzoia, Baringo and Laikipia counties, the Jubilee leaders dismissed National Super Alliance (Nasa) leader Raila Odinga’s call for a meeting to discuss changes at the electoral commission before the repeat poll.

They said Mr Odinga had already announced his withdrawal from the election and should stop making demands.

“We are ready for the election set for October 26 and I will not hold talks with anyone,” President Kenyatta told hundreds of supporters in Kabarnet.

DIALOGUE

“The only talks I will hold are with the people of Kenya, going to the voters to ask for votes. The IEBC (Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission) has been supported by taxpayers with Sh12 billion and their job is to organise elections and not to hold dialogue with anyone,” he said.

The President added: “I heard that they (opposition) want to have talks with me. I have no time for such talks. If Raila is not ready to vote on October 26, then he can go and sleep in his house and leave alone Kenyans who are ready to exercise their democratic rights.”

During a Jubilee rally in Nanyuki, Laikipia County, on Wednesday, President Kenyatta warned: “Anyone who will attempt to disrupt the election or beat election officials will be dealt with regardless of their position. You cannot stop a democratic process.”

He added: “We cannot allow a few individuals to destroy our country.”

OFFICIALS ATTACKED

He cited incidents where IEBC officials were attacked while conducting training for the coming poll.

The President accused Mr Odinga of instigating the attacks, adding that the opposition was free to withdraw from the election but not to disrupt polling.

Page 1 of 2