- The senator complaining that he had been told that it had been scheduled for a full hour.
- Mr Sonko likened his fight to get the Jubilee Party ticket to President Kenyatta’s fight to get on the ballot in 2013.
Nairobi senator and gubernatorial aspirant Mike Sonko has demanded a public apology from fellow aspirant Peter Kenneth before he agrees to consensus on who is to take the Jubilee ticket.
In a heated and often emotional interview on Citizen TV on Sunday night, Mr Sonko wavered between declaring outright that he cannot work with Mr Kenneth and demanding that he apologises for opposing President Uhuru Kenyatta in 2013.
Mr Sonko began the interview with Citizen TV news anchor Hussein Mohammed by declaring, “I don’t want to know about his name.”
He peppered the interview with unsavoury remarks about Mr Kenneth’s skin colour and made claims about his past and his academic history, prompting calls for decorum and a disclaimer from Mr Mohammed. At one point, he cheekily asked Mr Mohammed to sip some water
MT KENYA VOTE
The anchor appeared to cut the interview short, with the senator complaining that he had been told that it had been scheduled for a full hour.
Asked whether he would agree with a proposal by Mr Kenneth that the aspirants discuss and settle on one candidate without the current acrimony, Mr Sonko said, “Those are just intimidations. Me I’m not ready for consensus. I’m ready we go to the ballot. Let the people have the final verdict on this.”
He said the main grudge he has with Mr Kenneth stems from his refusal to step down and support President Kenyatta at the 2013 General Election.
Mr Sonko sees this as an attempt to divide the Mt Kenya vote, which made it harder for the President to get the seat. Mr Kenneth was fourth in the 2013 polls with 72,786 votes. President Kenyatta won with 6,173,433 votes, 50.51 per cent.
He wants Mr Kenneth to apologise to the Jubilee coalition and President Kenyatta’s supporters for his actions in 2013.