In Summary

  • Fethullah Gulen who is currently living in exile in the US said he has been against all coups since 1960 to date and does not know why he is being targeted by the President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s regime.
  • A section of the Turkish military attempted to overthrow Erdogan’s government on July 15 last year, but it was thwarted after a day.

WASHINGTON, Sunday

An Islamic scholar claimed to be behind last year’s Turkish coup attempt has rubbished the claims.

In a rare interview with the media, Fethullah Gulen who is currently living in exile in the US said he has been against all coups since 1960 to date and does not know why he is being targeted by the President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s regime.

“I have always been against interventions. I don’t know the people who attempted the July 15 coup.

They might know me, they may have attended some lectures…I have no idea,” he said, in an interview with America’s National Public Radio (NPR).

ERDOGAN

A section of the Turkish military attempted to overthrow Erdogan’s government on July 15 last year, but it was thwarted after a day.

By then they had caused destruction such as bombing government buildings.

Since then, tens of thousands of people have been arrested in connection with the failed coup while others serving in government and state positions have been fired.

“If any one among those soldiers had called me and told me of their plan, I would tell them, “You are committing murder,” Mr Gulen said.

TRIAL

He added that he is ready to face trial should the US government decide to fulfil Turkey’s request of extraditing him, though he doubts if Washington can put its reputation for democracy at risk.

“I am living my final years, even if they decide to kill me or poison me or bring back the death sentence to hang me.

Page 1 of 2