- Bees are not only interesting to keep but can also put lots of cash in your pocket.
- Dorper breed of sheep is renowned for mutton production due to its faster growth rate, quality meat, fertility and ability to adapt faster.
- To bulk the animals faster for market, you need to offer them high quality feeds for the much needed nutrients.
I AM INTERESTED IN BEE KEEPING
I understand that bee farming is a good venture. Kindly help me know how to go about it including the best hives and where I can get them especially around Thika.
Bees are not only interesting to keep but can also put lots of cash in your pocket.
The precious insects give products like honey, wax, propolis and royal jelly. The uncomplicated venture is relatively cheap to start, easier to maintain and are require less inputs in terms of land, capital and labour.
Apart from the starter kits, it is necessary to keep them safe from predators and harsh weather. For commercial purposes, go for the Langstroth Hive which is easy to maintain, designed simple with ample space between brood chambers and supers and easy to inspect and harvest from.
These hives can be bought from The Hive Group Limited, email address [email protected] and telephone +254706349748 /+254731905263.
Set your apiary in a well-drained, less disturbed place far from noise or human activities. Keep off areas frequently sprayed with chemical pesticides to reduce bee poisoning and honey contamination.
For further reading on bee keeping read my article “A must-have starters’ guide to beekeeping” featured on 6th February 2016 available online.
Felix Akatch Opinya, Department of Animal Science, Egerton University.
LOOKING FOR A SHREDDER
I have a one acre maize plantation which I want to convert into silage and I need a good maize shredder because I have realised chaff cutters are not the best. A chaff cutter slices the maize instead of squeezing the milk from the maize cob. Where can I find a maize shredder?
You can obtain a good maize shredder from, among others:
1. Ndume Limited, Gilgil, situated 4 km along Gilgil - Nyahururu Road. Phone: 020-2186668/9, 2186671/2. Email: [email protected]
2. Ecochicks Poultry Ltd situated at: Wakulima House – K.P.C.U Building 3rd Floor, Haile Selassie Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya. Phone: 0727087285 / 0723957547 Email: [email protected]
3. Marina Machineries (K) Limited situated in Industrial Area along Lusaka Road
Phone: +254 20 541785, 556685, 553272 or +254 733 635172. E-mail: [email protected]
Otieno Abich, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Egerton University
WHERE DO I GET DORPER EWES?
Kindly advise on where I can get dorper ewes to buy. I am Collins in Isinya, Kajiado County.
Dorper breed of sheep is renowned for mutton production due to its faster growth rate, quality meat, fertility and ability to adapt faster.