In Summary
  • Her colleagues claimed she had developed stomach complications.
  • Ms Mwihaki’s friends later disclosed that the three visited a man in Kiharu estate on Friday where they spent the night partying.
  • Murang’a East OCPD Alexander Muasya said the police are working to establish the cause of her death.

Four people have been arrested following the mysterious death of a Chuka University student in Murang’a, County Criminal Investigations Officer Julius Rutere has said.

The four, two female students of Murang’a and Pwani universities, a male student at Murang’a University and a mason in Murang’a town were arrested on Wednesday, a day after a post-mortem examination contradicted their version that the student died in hospital where she had allegedly been taken after she complained of stomach complications.

The post-mortem examination revealed that she was strangled to death.


Maureen Wanjiku Mwihaki, 22, had attended the graduation party of her childhood friend who graduated on Friday from Murang’a University and later died on Sunday morning after what her colleagues said were stomach complications.

But a post-mortem examination on her body revealed that she died of strangulation.

According to her guardian, Mr David Njoroge Maina, Ms Mwihaki, who completed her agribusiness degree studies at Chuka University in April and was set to graduate in October, had sought permission to attend the graduation of her friend on Friday and later called home informing them that she would spend the night at the party.


Mr Maina said that was the last communication she made to the family.

On Saturday morning calls to her phone went unanswered.

Her guardian said that when her friends responded to their calls, they said they had taken her to hospital after stomach she developed complications.

“The deceased was in the company of two ladies whom the family knows – the one who was graduating and another, still from our village. In fact, before attending the graduation party of their colleague, they had spent time at our home. But how the two decided not to inform us when our daughter fell ill we can’t understand,” Mr Maina said.


Page 1 of 2