In Summary
  • A gas cylinder exploded, injuring one man and causing a fire that destroyed five houses.

A Monday evening fire that was caused by a gas cylinder explosion seriously injured one man and left five families homeless in Uthiru, Kiambu County.

The gas exploded on the man’s face and he was admitted at the PCEA Kikuyu Hospital.

HELP

The man, popularly known as "Papa" Waithaka, had gone to help rescue his neighbours and salvage their belongings.

No one else was injured in the incident, but the houses were razed to the ground.

When the fire broke out, Ms Monicah Nzambi and her family were settling down for supper at 7pm.

"We heard screams coming from the neighbour’s house and knew something was wrong. We got out of the house and saw that their gas cylinder was in flames. We got water from my house and tried to put out the fire," she said.

More neighbours came to the rescue and one suggested smothering the flames with wet blankets, which only made it worse.

Page 1 of 2