Seven suspects accused of starting a fire that razed a dormitory at Moi Girls’ Secondary School in Mandera are off the hook.

The four teachers and three security guards walked to freedom on Wednesday after police failed to link them to the arson attack.

Mr Charles Mogaka, a State counsel, told a Mandera court that police investigations failed to link any of the seven suspects to the fire incident at the school.

“We have concluded investigations into the incident and police have been unable to link any of the suspects to the offence,” he said.

Mr Mogaka said more comprehensive analyses of samples collected from the scene of crime were being carried out in Nairobi.

“We have samples collected from the scene undergoing further analysis in Nairobi and any suspect found linked to the incident will be arrested and charged,” he said.

The seven were arrested last month.

Senior Resident Magistrate Mukabi Kimani released the suspects on a free bond pending conclusion of investigations by police.

He ordered them to report twice a week to police and barred them from accessing the school.