- County official says the fireworks display are meant to attract tourists to the city.
- Tourism chief officer says an even bigger fireworks display is planned this year as city seeks to emulate Sydney, Melbourne and New York.
- County committee has resolved to summon all the tender committee members who authorised flawed procurement in 2016/17 financial year.
City Hall has been put on the spot for spending Sh6.3 million on fireworks for New Year celebrations.
The expenditure is one of the audit queries raised by the Auditor-General’s report into the 2016/2017 financial year spending by the county government.
It also emerged that the county government contravened the Public Procurement and Disposal Act, 2015 by applying a restricted tendering process in order to favour the company which supplied the fireworks products.
The Auditor-General further poked holes into the payment process, saying that vouchers lacked contract documents rendering the propriety of the expenditure dubious as it could not be confirmed.
Nairobi County Cooperatives and Tourism Chief Officer Machira Gichohi was taken to task by the County Assembly Public Accounts Committee over the flawed procurement process and costly fireworks.
Kilimani MCA Moses Ogeto claimed that prior to initiation of the procurement process, the department had already floated two companies with specific quantities in milligrams of the fireworks that were to be used.
"The [tender committee] meeting was done on December 22, 2016 during…while the local purchase order was done on December 18 and the payments done on December 16. How is this even possible?" asked Mr Ogeto.