- Mr Sonko had shortlisted four women: Bishop Margaret Wanjiru, corporate guru Agnes Kagure, lawyers Karen Nyamu and Jane Weru.
- Last year, lawyer Miguna Miguna’s nomination was rejected by Jubilee Party on account that he was not a party member.
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko on Friday postponed naming his deputy to allow further consultations with opposition Nasa.
Speaking during a press conference in Kilifi County, Mr Sonko explained that the National Super Alliance (Nasa) wrote a letter to him yesterday endorsing their nominee.
"I was ready with a nominee but I received a letter from Nasa requesting me to consider their nominee Rahab Wangui for the DG position. Therefore, I shall not be forwarding the name in the spirit of 'handshake' to allow for more consultation," he said.
This now prolongs the wait by residents to have a substantive deputy governor following the resignation of Mr Polycarp Igathe last year.
Mr Igathe said he had failed to earn Mr Sonko's trust. "Dear Nairobians, it is with a heavy heart that I resign my seat as elected Deputy Governor of Nairobi City County effective 1pm on Jan 31, 2018.
"I regret I have failed to earn the trust of the Governor to enable me to drive Admin and Management of the county. Without fear, favour or ill will I step down to avoid abusing or betraying my oath of office to Kenyans, Nairobians and my family. Thank you for the encouraging support given to me so far," Mr Igathe wrote on his Twitter account.