- The school's principal is alleged to have been opening KCSE exam papers before time.
- The offences are said to have been committed last week between Thursday November 9 and Friday November 10.
- The decision does not affect the 17 candidates sitting this year’s KCSE exams as they will be allowed to complete their tests.
- Ms Macharia vowed to teach the drunk school principal of Mawaka Secondary School a lesson.
The Ministry of Education has deregistered a school in Gilgil, Nakuru County over examination malpractices.
St Theresa Girls Senior School has consequently been directed to surrender its registration certificate to the ministry with immediate effect.
The decision was communicated to the school by Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang, moments after TSC Chief Executive Officer Nancy Macharia made an impromptu visit to the school during the ongoing Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exams.
According to Dr Kipsang, the deregistration takes effect on December 1.
Sources at the ministry said the school’s principal was found guilty of opening examination materials before time.
It is believed that this was a deliberate attempt to interfere with the examination material and share it with students in advance.
Teachers were also found coaching KCSE candidates at the school last week against the Ministry of Education rules.
The offences are said to have been committed last week between Thursday November 9 and Friday November 10.
Nation also learnt that teachers were also found in the school, which is an examination centre, contrary to a ministry directive that banned their presence during exams hours.
It has also been established that some teachers at the school are not registered with the Teachers Service Commission.
In the letter addressed to the school principal and copied to the Cabinet Secretary for Education Dr Fred Matiang'i and the Nakuru County director of education, Dr Kipsang said the decision was in line with the Basic Education Act, 2013.
“By copy of this letter, you are instructed to hand over the current certificate of your school to the county education board secretary who is also the county director of education, Nakuru, with immediate effect,” he stated, further instructing the school principal to inform parents of the school of the ministry’s decision.
However, Nation has established that the decision does not affect the 37 candidates sitting this year’s KCSE exams as they will be allowed to complete their tests.
The ministry has also indicated that it will work on finding alternative schools for the 115 students in other classes at the school from January 2018.
Earlier, TSC had issued a stern warning to headteachers and supervisors opening examination papers before the stipulated time.
Speaking in Gilgil Town earlier in Monday morning while supervising the distribution of examination materials to exam centres, Ms Macharia said those who would be linked to the criminal offence would be dismissed from service forthwith and prosecuted.