In Summary
  • I could not lift my leg let alone walk. My muscles were aching. I did not need a calculator to know that my marathon was over.
  • This body has not been mine since last Saturday. Luckily, that was the first and last marathon I will ever participate in. Ever!

At exactly 6.23am on Saturday, November 30, my brother Pius knocked on our door.

Fiolina and I were still busy but we quickly dressed up and took breakfast. We had been putting up at a hotel in Khayega town.

We boarded Pius’ car and left. Seated in front was the beautiful Rumona (my brother Ford’s wife).

She had transformed — she was wearing a tight, blue running blumah, a yellow tight running T-shirt, new pink shoes and multicoloured socks.

She also had a new watch and a matching water bottle. Pius had a yellow Urban Swara T-shirt, tight black shorts, an expensive watch and new shoes.

Only Fiolina and I were wearing the official Kakamega Forest Marathon T-shirts and had no running watches. We looked out of place.

We drove to the venue of the marathon, which was a few kilometres away. There, we found a multitude of people stretching, and I joined them.


We were then separated into groups based on our races. Fiolina went to the 5km team while I went to the 21km team.

I had thought I would have a moment with Rumona, but I was wrong. She was with Pius throughout and they would occasionally hold hands.

We then moved to a place where I thought the marathon would begin.

However, we were told to board several buses, which drove us to another venue. Pius sat with Rumona and they held hands throughout the journey.

When we arrived at the venue for the marathon, we found thin and tall runners stretching and running around.

If I were a weak person, I would have been intimidated by them.

A loud gunshot interrupted my thoughts and like everyone else, I fled for safety. Only to realise that everyone was running towards the same direction.


The race had started. I quickly followed them. The thin, dark young men who had been stretching took off like they were chasing an antelope.

I passed a few people. Behind me was Pius and Rumona. The views were majestic — we were running downhill in a serene environment under the shade of beautiful trees. It was enjoyable.

After running for what seemed like 50kms, we started climbing up under the scorching sun. I pushed on, knowing the marathon would end soon.

Pius and Rumona overtook me. I asked him we had run for many kilometres, and I was sure we were well past halfway. “Bado mbali sana. It’s 3.2kms.” That statement discouraged me.

I started giving up and many runners overtook me. The sun was hitting my clean-shaven head, causing a massive headache.

I couldn’t run anymore and so I started walking. We were now in the middle of tea plantations.

Beautiful, green plantations that went as far as the eyes could see. The increasingly hot sun, however, didn’t allow me to enjoy the amazing scenery

Page 1 of 2