In Summary
  • Postmortem results confirmed Lucy had been raped, strangled and forced to swallow acid the night she died.
  • Last year, Lucy confessed to some relatives and friends that her life was in danger.
  • Last week, Ndung’u denied taking part in the events leading to his wife’s death.

The grave of Lucy Njambi, who was raped and forced to take acid, is still fresh a week after her burial — a reminder of the mystery behind a murder most foul.

As investigators continue to piece together her last days, some tell-tale text messages have emerged revealing a terrified woman walking in the shadows of death and silently seeking help.

“If I die, take care of Immanuel for me. Baba Njoro amenichapa sana kichwa na mbavu (Njoro’s father has injured me on the head and ribs),” she wrote to her aunt last year.

Lucy had good looks, which possibly hid her pain.

On her Facebook page, she called herself ‘Apple Girl’ or ‘Red Apple Swits’ and posted pictures of herself and her son, Immanuel.

The apple has fallen, and as the flowers on her grave wither, the pain and agony of a bitter family still shows when the Saturday Nation team returned to the homestead where she is buried.

It is the second mysterious murder in the family, and Lucy’s grandmother, Margaret Njambi, is still lost for words over the double loss of her son and granddaughter.

Lucy’s ex-husband, former Riruta Ward MCA Samuel Ndung’u, has been charged in connection with her death on the night of January 24.

Postmortem results confirmed Lucy had been raped, strangled and forced to swallow acid the night she died.

She was then dumped at Kamiti Corner, a notorious spot where carjackers dump their victims in the deserted Kiambu area straddled by coffee estates.

It was here that Lucy, who had been left for dead, managed to flag down a vehicle, which took her to Kiambu hospital for treatment, before she was transferred to the Kenyatta National Hospital where she died.

By then, she had spoken to the police and family members about her ordeal.

Lucy was brought up by her grandmother after the death of her mother, a single parent, in 2004. Her mother died when Lucy was only 10.

“Her mother Mary Nyagiko conceived her while still living with me. I catered for all her maternity needs and as our customs allow, the baby was named after me.

"Right then, I knew Lucy was my responsibility. In 2004, my daughter died of meningitis and left Lucy under my care,” Lucy’s grandmother Njambi recalled.

Ms Njambi saw Lucy through primary school at Kahugu-ini where she sat for her KCPE exams in 2007 and later at Ng’enda Secondary School, where she attained a C plus in her KCSE exams in 2011.

“She was great in school and loved learning. Unfortunately, I could not educate her beyond that level. I wanted to but I couldn’t afford it,” Ms Njambi said.

Although she could have qualified to go to a private university, Lucy was enrolled at St Gabriel Catholic College in Gatundu for her certificate in International Computer Driving License (ICDL) before taking a diploma course in cosmetology.

Before she was employed at a Korean restaurant in Nairobi’s Hurlingham, Lucy started dating the man now charged over her mysterious death.

In 2012, Lucy’s uncle, a taxi operator in Roysambu, was mysteriously killed and his body dumped near Thika’s Blue Post Hotel.

“The two had been friends, had grown up and schooled together for many years. I later learnt that he (Samuel) was the one who paid for my son’s coffin,” Ms Njambi recalled.

Though she says her late son was opposed to the relationship between Lucy and Samuel, there is still no link to the two deaths.

“I knew my son was against their relationship. Could he have been killed to pave way for Lucy’s marriage to Ndung’u? Is there a link between the two mysterious deaths?” she wonders loudly.

Her son’s death was reported at Kasarani police station and up to this day, the family says no one has been apprehended.

They have given up on the investigations.

Page 1 of 2