In Summary
  • On Wednesday, scores of enthusiastic residents temporarily dropped their daily activities to watch the live broadcast of the governor's address to journalists.
  • In his statement, Governor Obado maintained that he had no role he played in Ms Otieno's death and even condemned her killers.
  • Some of the residents said, however, that they expected the governor to speak more on the matter.

Migori Governor Okoth Obado's first ever public statement on the murder of Rongo University student Sharon Otieno has elicited varied reactions from residents.

On Wednesday, scores of enthusiastic residents temporarily dropped their daily activities to watch the live broadcast of the governor's address to journalists.

VINDICATION

While a sizeable majority supported Mr Obado's call to let investigating agencies and police do their work, some said he should been clear about the kind of relationship he had with Ms Otieno, who died while seven months pregnant.

"We stand with the governor, who has so far cooperated with investigators and has said he will continue to do so. We call upon Kenyans and Migori residents to remain calm and let police and detectives to do their jobs," said Mr George Olumwa Kidikibudi, a resident.

He added: "Politicians should not politicise this matter. The case is under investigation and we are sure the culprits will be brought to book."

Mr Olumwa's comments were echoed by Mr Ronald Odindo who said: "The governor has been clear. Let the investigators do their work. We are sure he will be vindicated in due course."

PEACE, UNITY

In his statement, Governor Obado maintained that he had no role he played in Ms Otieno's death and even condemned her killers.

Page 1 of 2