The plane had flown from Johannesburg to Addis Ababa, stayed on the ground for three hours, then taken off for Nairobi, said Mr Gebremariam. It had gone through its first major service since delivery in October last year on February 4.

President Uhuru Kenyatta said he was “saddened” by news of the crash. “My prayers go to all the families and associates of those on board,” the President said in a message on Twitter.


United Nations secretary-general António Guterres said he was “deeply concerned at the tragic loss of lives” in the crash.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said the organisation had suffered a huge loss but did not give details of the numbers of staff who perished.

African Union commission chief Moussa Faki Mahamat said he had learnt of the crash “with utter shock and immense sadness”, while Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s office tweeted its “deepest condolences to the families of those that have lost their loved ones”.

Mr Mahboub Maalim, executive secretary of the IGAD East African bloc, said the region and the world were in mourning. “I cannot seem to find words comforting enough to the families and friends of those who might have lost their lives in this tragedy,” Mr Maalim said in a statement.

Transport Cabinet Secretary James Macharia said a team led by Principal Secretary Esther Koimett has been sent to Ethiopia.

The crash was Ethiopian Airlines’ third major accident since another take-off disaster — from Beirut, Lebanon in 2010 — killed 82 passengers and eight crew members. In 1996, one of its aircraft was hijacked en route from Addis Ababa to Nairobi before it eventually crashed on the shores of the Indian Ocean island of Comoros, killing 125 passengers.

Concerns had been raised over the safety of the Boeing Max 8 after last October’s Lion Air crash, which killed all the 190 passengers aboard.


Indonesian and American aviation agencies reported that that plane’s abrupt nose-dive could have been caused by updated Boeing software, which ideally is meant to prevent a stall but could potentially send the plane into a fatal fall if the altitude and angle information being fed into its computer system are erroneous.

The Indonesian plane’s approximate data on its speed and altitude on the 11 minutes it spent in the air suggested that the first indication of trouble may have come just above 2,000 feet, when its trajectory was beginning to level off.

At that point, something unexpected occurred: Instead of levelling off momentarily, the plane dropped around 600 feet, something that closely mirrors the data from Flight Radar24 on the Ethiopian flight 302, which lost also dropped altitude.

Following the Lion Air accident, pilot unions in the United States claimed that Boeing’s update of the flight control system, which can override manual motions, was not explained to pilots, leaving them exposed.

On Sunday, the company said its technical team was prepared to provide technical assistance at the request and under the direction of the US National Transportation Safety Board.

Additional reports by agencies.

Page 2 of 2