In Summary
  • Mr Kinuthia will be held at the Naiberi Police Station pending completion of the police investigations.
  • He was discharged from the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital on Friday evening.

The suspect accused of killing Moi University medical student Ivy Wangechi will spend two more weeks in police custody pending further investigations and mental assessment to determine his fitness to stand trial.

When he appeared before the Eldoret High Court on Monday, Mr Naftali Kinuthia’s lawyers and the prosecutor were in agreement that they required more time to gather more evidence and defence into the grusesome killing of Ivy last week.

Mr Kinuthia, who is represented by Nairobi-based lawyer Mbiyu Kamau assisted by Ms Rachael Mbebe, appeared before acting deputy registrar of Eldoret High Court Senior Resident Magistrate Nichodemus Moseti.

The state in the suit is represented by Ms Freda Mwanza, a senior assistant director of public prosecution and Ms Brenda Oduor, a senior prosecution counsel.

Mr Kinuthia, who was whisked into the court cells under tight security at 9.15am, had head and hand injuries, while his face had multiple scars that he sustained after he was beaten up by the members of the public who cornered him as fled the murder scene.

He hacked the sixth year medical student outside the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) as she left the facility after checking on her patients on Tuesday morning.


When he appeared before Mr Moseti, Mr Kinuthia looked composed and he constantly consulted with his lawyer in the parked courtroom.

Mr Kamau told the court the suspect has not recorded any statement since he was discharged from the hospital last Friday after undergoing surgery.

Mr Kinuthia’s lawyer also noted that P3 forms have not yet ben been filled while exhibits, including an axe and knife, have been taken to the Government Chemist for forensic analysis.

“Your honour since my client was discharged from the hospital on April 12,  is yet to record statement. We are not opposed to state request to detain him for further 14 days,” said Mr Kamau.

Page 1 of 2