- The victims had been logging at the site for seven months without incident as they were always escorted by troops to protect them from jihadists.
- On Saturday they went to the logging site without security escort and informants could have alerted Boko Haram that the loggers had no security protection. They were attacked.
- Boko Haram's eight-year campaign of Islamist violence has killed more than 20,000 people and displaced some 2.6 million from their homes.
The number of loggers killed in a Boko Haram attack in northeast Nigeria has risen to 25 following the discovery of more victims, survivors and militias said on Sunday.
Motorcycle-riding gunmen attacked a logging site where people were loading firewood into vehicles some 20 kilometres from the state capital Maiduguri on Saturday.
Four bodies were initially recovered, but search teams later found 21 more victims in the surrounding area.
"We found 21 more bodies after search teams combed the bushes when many people didn't make it back to the village after we were attacked," logger Bunu Gana, who survived the attack, told AFP.
Another logger, Haruna Dahiru, said: "Fifty-three of us set out to the logging site from Bakin Muna (village) but only 28 made it back after the attack.
"We found four bodies at the site which made us to search for those missing."