In Summary
  • The attack is the latest in a string of assaults on teams grappling with a near nine-month-old Ebola outbreak that has claimed almost 850 lives.
  • Police said the casualty was a Cameroonian doctor who had been taking part in a meeting of an anti-Ebola team when the hospital was attacked by a rebel group.
  • The outbreak is the second deadliest on record, after the epidemic that struck West Africa in 2014-16, which killed more than 11,300 people.

BUTEMBO,

A health worker fighting an Ebola outbreak in DR Congo was killed Friday in an attack on a hospital in the eastern city of Butembo, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

The attack is the latest in a string of assaults on teams grappling with a near nine-month-old Ebola outbreak that has claimed almost 850 lives.

"The @WHO family lost a dear colleague in the hospital attack in Butembo, #DRC, today," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a tweet.

"My colleagues and I are grieving over the loss of this courageous colleague who was saving lives to end #Ebola. We are outraged by the attack. Health workers are #NotATarget."

Police said the casualty was a Cameroonian doctor who had been taking part in a meeting of an anti-Ebola team when the hospital was attacked by a rebel group.

DEATHS RISING

The DR Congo declared a tenth outbreak of Ebola in 40 years last August in northeastern North Kivu province before the virus spread into the neighbouring Ituri region.

The epicentre of the outbreak was first located in the rural area of Mangina, but then switched to the town of Beni.

Page 1 of 2