- The United States had pressed Kabila to step aside and declare that he would not be a candidate in the December polls.
- The Security Council has called for a transfer of power in the DR Congo.
The United States on Wednesday welcomed President Joseph Kabila's decision to step aside and not seek re-election in the Democratic Republic of Congo, but said more must be done to ensure a democratic transfer of power.
Kabila ended months of speculation when his government announced that former interior minister Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary will be the governing party's candidate in the December 23 presidential election.
"We welcome reports that President Kabila will not seek a third term in accordance with his country's constitution," US Ambassador Nikki Haley said in a statement.
"This development is another step, but there is much more to be done," she added.
The national elections commission "must take all steps necessary to guarantee the Congolese people have the right to exercise their vote in free, fair, and credible elections on December 23, 2018," she added.
The United States had pressed Kabila to step aside and declare that he would not be a candidate in the December polls, which could pave the way to the first democratic transition in the mineral-rich country.
Haley traveled to Kinshasa last year to press leaders to hold the elections after much delay.
The United States has also criticised plans to use electronic voting in the polls, saying the voting machines could undermine the credibility of the elections.