In Summary
  • In a statement after a meeting with Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed, Prof Ntarangwi ruled out approvals for new programmes, saying the process has been suspended until next year.
  • According to a document by the Kenya Universities, Colleges Central Placement Service, the commission had raised quality issues with 133 degree programmes in 26 public and private universities and had, therefore, not approved them.

The Commission for University Education (CUE) Wednesday extended a lifeline to more than 10,000 students said to be enrolled in illegal courses after it declared the programmes valid.

Chief Executive Officer Mwenda Ntarangwi said the universities which have been offering the courses, most of which are clustered under bachelors of Arts and Sciences, could admit new students into the programmes.

NEW COURSES

In a statement after a meeting with Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed at Jogoo House, Nairobi, Prof Ntarangwi ruled out approvals for new programmes, saying the process has been suspended until next year.

According to a document by the Kenya Universities, Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the commission had raised quality issues with 133 degree programmes in 26 public and private universities and had, therefore, not approved them.

Prof Ntarangwi said that in November last year, they received a request from KUCCPS to validate undergraduate programmes offered at all local public and private universities.

The placement service also asked the commission to assess capacities declared by each of the universities for placement of government-funded students for the 2019/2020 placement cycle.

Page 1 of 2