- President Uhuru Kenyatta back law change call saying the winner-take-all political system is divisive.
- ODM leader Raila Odinga wants an inclusive political system to end the cancer of tribalism and poor management of elections.
- Deputy President William Ruto backs referendum call but only if it doesn't involve merging of certain electoral units.
The referendum debate has gathered steam after opposition parties on Monday expressed support for the law change movement.
This follows President Uhuru Kenyatta’s call last month to amend the Constitution to end the winner-take-all system that has threatened to tear the country apart every five years as groups wrestle for power.
Opposition parties, including Raila Odinga’s Orange Democratic Movement (ODM), Musalia Mudavadi’s Amani National Congress (ANC), Moses Wetang’ula’s Ford Kenya, Kalonzo Musyoka’s Wiper Democratic Movement (WDM) and Gideon Moi's Kenya African National Union (Kanu) have backed the constitutional change debate.
On Monday, Murang'a Senator Irungu Kang’ata, who is Jubilee's deputy chief whip, said that his party is keen on the changes.
Speaking in Kisumu over the weekend, Mr Odinga and Mr Wetang’ula underscored the need for change to address inclusivity issues.
Mr Odinga said: “The Building Bridges Initiative is collecting views from Kenyans on what needs to be rectified in our Constitution to address Kenyans problems.”
Citing challenges in development, election management, and in the ongoing war on corruption, Mr Odinga said it is necessary to amend the law to address those issues.
Mr Wetang’ula said the Constitution should be changed to foster a united nation.
“During our fight for the 2010 Constitution we had two groups. One that said the Constitution was 80 per cent good and rooted for its passage while the other group said that 20 per cent was bad and rooted for changes before it was passed,” said Mr Wetang’ula.
“Now we have reached a time when we should look at how we can change the 20 per cent and do it devoid of tribalism, hate and chaos,” the Bungoma senator said.
During his recent visit to Kisumu, President Kenyatta said: “We must look at this issue of winner-take-all. If that is why some people feel left out of government, we must ask ourselves, 'Is it a good thing or not?’.”
On Monday, Wiper vice-chairman Mutula Kilonzo Jr. said the party supports the call for a referendum even though the party has not yet agreed on what it wants changed.
“Our party leader has spoken [several times] on inclusivity and strengthening of devolution. We will at a near future condense our thoughts,” Mr Kilonzo told Nation.
ODM National Chairman John Mbadi said through the handshake between Mr Odinga and Mr Kenyatta on March 9, 2018, the duo sought to address the divisive nature of Kenyan politics.
“We are keen on a referendum that will anchor a system which will be more inclusive, accountable, address our development agenda and ensure the fight against corruption is a success,” said Mr Mbadi.
“If this will result in creation of new positions, so be it but we are not interested in looking at who should occupy those positions.”