- The deputy envoy William Roebuck said the United States "didn't try" stronger measures to restrain Turkey.
- The diplomat acknowledged that the efforts may have failed anyway.
- Turkey launched the invasion last month after a phone call with Trump, who pulled out US troops out of Syria.
A veteran US diplomat faulted President Donald Trump's administration in an internal memo for not doing more to prevent Turkey's Syria offensive, which he said has caused "ethnic cleansing," a report said Thursday.
The New York Times said it obtained a memo by William Roebuck, the deputy envoy in charge of the fight against the Islamic State group, who said the United States "didn't try" stronger measures to restrain Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, although the diplomat acknowledged that the efforts may have failed anyway.
DIDN’T DO ENOUGH
Roebuck reportedly deplored Turkey's "intention-laced effort at ethnic cleansing," which he said included abuses by Ankara's Islamist allies in Syria that "can only be described as war crimes and ethnic cleansing."
"One day when the diplomatic history is written," the newspaper quoted the memo as saying, "people will wonder what happened here and why officials didn't do more to stop it or at least speak out more forcefully to blame Turkey for its behaviour."
State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus declined to comment on the veracity of the "alleged private internal communications."