In Summary
  • Mercado claimed the sweet revenge with the judges scoring 99-91, 98-92, 99-91in her favour
  • A furious Zarika said she has no regrets losing the title and stated that there has been no recognition from the government since she made history as the first Kenyan to ever win a WBC World title
  • Zarika has a rematch against Mercado in 90 days as stipulated by the contract they signed before the bout

Kenya's Fatuma "Iron Fist" Zarika has blamed inadequate preparations and lack of support from the government for her World Boxing Council (WBC) World super bantamweight title loss.

The 34-year-old Zarika said she was left at the deep of waters when Sportpesa, who were her sponsors, withdrew with the government not living up to the promise to support her.

Zarika relinquished the title on Sunday morning when she lost to Mexican Yamileth "Yeimi" Mercado in a unanimous point decision in Chihuahua, Mexico.

Mercado claimed the sweet revenge with the judges scoring 99-91, 98-92, 99-91in her favour.

Zarika beat Mercado in a split-point decision on September 8 last year, which was her second title defence after having beaten Zambian Catherine Phiri on December 2, 2017.

A furious Zarika said she has no regrets losing the title and stated that there has been no recognition from the government since she made history as the first Kenyan to ever win a WBC World title in 2016 when she beat Jamaican Alicia Ashley in USA.

“I want to tell my fans that I have no regrets or apologies to make to someone. There was no one to support me when I won the belt for the first time. I was alone. It’s only Sportpesa who came through for me,” said Zarika. “I was left alone when Sportpesa withdrew with the government making empty promises.”

Page 1 of 2