- The government will spend close to Sh400 million in Team Kenya’s participation at the African Games.
- The country will be represented by a squad of 350 athletes and officials.
None of the Kenyan teams heading to the 12th African Games primed for August 19-31 in Rabat, Morocco, will be cut down, the government declared on Tuesday.
Speaking after a meeting with team managers at the Moi International Sport Centre, Kasarani, Kirimi Kaberia, the Sports Principal Secretary said that they will go as per the African Games Organising Committee, COJA quota.
“We are now clear with team managers that the standards and requirements by COJA will be followed and no discipline should be worried that its quota will be cut,” said Kaberia.
“All the quota especially for athletes will be considered 100 percent and it’s upon the respective teams to determine.”
The move comes as a relief for athletics and Tae kwon-do, who had protested after Team Kenya management whittled down their numbers.
Athletics, which had a quota of 104, had presented a list of 96 athletes and officials, but the management had cut it to 75.
Tae kwon-do men and women’s teams had been whittled down by four for a total to 12, but will now send a team of 16; eight men and similar number of women.
“The issue of tae kwon-do has been settled, but there were no issues in athletics really since they wanted more officials on board rather than athletes,” said Kaberia.
“The challenge has been with federations wanting more slots than what COJA dictates.”
On the issue of allowances, he said that they will be wired directly to the athletes and officials bank accounts directly and immediately.
“What we have been doing is verification of everyone’s bank account details and having them signed against them before we can release the money,” said Kaberia.