- The sack the Frenchman had asked for finally arrived on Monday evening, ending a 14-month stay at the helm of national football team Harambee Stars for the 47-year-old coach
- The pressure was building but results were not forthcoming despite substantial funding from the government and sponsors
- Talks between Migne, FKF officials and the coach's agent Joe Kamga led to Monday's decision to sack him
Ten days ago, former Harambee Stars coach Sebastien Migne publicly dared Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa to sack him.
"If the federation wants to fire me, let them fire me. But again, if paying my salary is an issue, will they manage to pay out my contract?" he said.
The sack the Frenchman had asked for finally arrived on Monday evening, ending a 14-month stay at the helm of national football team Harambee Stars for the 47-year-old coach. His tenure started in May last year.
"We needed someone who would understand the challenges we face as a team. Someone who will understand if there is no training pitch, or if the lights went off," Mwendwa said during Migne’s unveiling. How times change!
That aggregate loss to Tanzania in Nairobi on August 4, which occasioned the team's elimination from the 2020 Africa Nations Championship (Chan) qualifiers proved the final straw for the abrasive Migne.
As a majority of thousands of fans moaned in disappointment at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani, where Kenya lost 4-1 on post-match penalties, Nation Sport understands an influential politician who attended the game strongly recommended that Migne be relieved of his duties. That came to pass just as the dust seemed to be settling on a public backlash following Kenya’s poor performance in 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt in June.
On that occasion, Mwendwa had elected to protect his coach, telling whoever cared to listen that it was expensive to fire him with close to Sh50 million reportedly required to pay him off. A broke FKF couldn't afford that. But the landscape changed after that loss to Tanzania’s Taifa Stars.
Nation Sport has learnt that Migne was initially summoned to the federation's secretariat at Kandanda House in Nairobi by FKF’s acting CEO Barry Otieno.